News from the Region
2018 Citi Open Adds Pickleball for Relish
For the 50th summer and counting, Washington, D.C., will host the Citi Open tennis tournament. Been there, done that? Ho hum? Not so fast. This year’s event will feature some new kids on the block.
The likes of tennis greats Caroline Wozniacki (2018 Australian Open champion) and Andy Murray (three-time Grand Slam champion) will share the spotlight with the nation’s best pickleball players. Eight pickleball pros have signed on for the USA Pickleball Association’s Pickleball Pro Exhibition and Clinic – Sarah Ansboury, Chad Edwards, Joey Farias, Simone Jardim, Lucy Kovalova, Ty McGuffin, Irina Tereschenko and Matt Wright.
- United Way of Kershaw County Pickleball Tournament June 9-10
- Crooked Creek Park Pickleball Tournament Saturday, June 16, 2018
- Gamma Pickleball Classic June 29 - July 1
- Mountainside Racquet Club Pickleball Tournament Saturday, June 30, 2018
- Battle on Beech 4 August 17-19
- Linville Land Harbor Tournament August 20-22
- First Annual USAPA Mid-Atlantic Regional Pickleball Tournament Oct. 26-28th
- The court is 20 feet wide by 44 feet long.
- The net is 20 feet long and is 34 inches high in the center, extending to 36 inches high on the sidelines.
- The ball is served underhand without bouncing it, diagonally into the opponent’s service court.
- Only the serving team can score.
- A point is scored when the non-serving opponent fails to return the ball or hits the ball out of bounds.
- Games go to 11, but the victor must win by 2 points.